Re: RARA-AVIS: On Post 9/11 Noir

From: Vincent F. A. Golphin ( vgolphin@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2005

I don't know that noir is always about a reaction to war, but I liked what was said about darkness and disappointment. Those factors seem to be the spur to increasing wave of "street lit" authors. The emerging genre, which seems to gain some respect now that white-owened publishers are picking up some of the bestselling authors, seeks to make sense of black ghetto life. The stories about drugs, prostitution, violence and prison are an indication for a style of novel that is more authentic to the African American mass culture, and a reaction to the ongoing struggle to survive in a rracist, capitalist system. I guess that is a kind of war.

vincent f. a. golphin