Re: RARA-AVIS: Westlake's The Ax made into a movie

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jun 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, andr頤ussolier <adussolier@y...> wrote:
> The ax is pretty bad. With a deep moralism
> (politically correct) badly done (ads with naked women
> to condamn consumerism) , horrible actors and a script
> that go nowhere.
> Actually French has recently produced three
> adaptations of Westlake :
> Je suis un assassin (from The hook, an Hitchcockian
> movie that ends in a big happening)
> Ordo from ordo (french autheurism meets hard boiled)
> and the Ax.

That's bad news. It's hard to imagine how a hard-hitting, direct story like The Ax can be screwed up. Who directed it? I wonder why one of the several good American directors has not grabbed this story. I bet Westlake would be willing to write the script himself... My choice for a director would be Polanski, of course.

Best,

MrT