RARA-AVIS: Re: Bouchercon

From: Tim Wohlforth ( tim@timwohlforth.com)
Date: 25 Jun 2005

Glad to hear of so many other Rara people on panel at B'con. For once it seems noir and hard-boiled are going to get a fair shake at one of these conferences. We will have two panels in a row Friday a.m. and then others sprinkled through the event. I suggested the hard-boiled (I originally said noir) post 9/11 topic because I thought it was interesting why people like dark fiction in dark times. You'd think they would choose light escapism. But we saw the same phenomenon after W.W.II. That is both fluff escapist musicals and comedy (especially during war) and then of course the classic noirs. Worth discussing.

Tim