RARA-AVIS: Westlake's The Ax made into a movie

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 24 Jun 2005

I saw mention over on the fictionmags list that Donald E. Westlake is getting some TV coverage in the UK soon, and that THE AX (1997) has been turned into a movie. It's French, called LE COUPERET, and directed by Costa-Gavras. Here's the entry at the IMDB:

        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422015/

It gets one bad review there, but it got a good review on Ain't It Cool News, which combine to mean pretty much nothing. Anyone on the list seen it in Europe or a film festival? The book was excellent.

In related news, POINT BLANK (1967), the great movie adaptation of the first Parker novel by Westlake/Stark, is due out on DVD (in North America, at least) on 5 July. I've only seen it once, years ago, and I can't wait to see it again. In my mind, Parker looks like Lee Marvin.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/