Re: RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon Panel--The PI & Pop Culture

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 24 Jun 2005

I've just finished "Walking the Perfect Square," which is apparently the story of how Moe Prager, NYC police officer retired on disability after he slid on a piece of carbon paper,* turned into a private investigator. The time frame is 1998, but most of the book is in flashbacks to the late 1970s. It's hardboiled and competent enough but didn't live up to the immense praise that got me to buy the book. (Very few books could have.) I got the impression I was supposed to be shocked by things that didn't shock me.

Joy
*That's about the only humor in a pretty much dead-serious book.