Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: About Deadwood and DEADWOOD DICK

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jun 2005

A small contribution:
"Deadwood Dick on Deck; or, Calamity Jane, The Heroine of Whoop-Up," by Edward L. Wheeler, was rereleased a few decades back, in a package with "Seth Jones; or, The Captives of the Frontier" (by Edward S. Ellis)--Philip Durham edited the book. I believe this particular DD novel dates to the 1880s (I could tell you exactly, but mine is packed away), and the Seth Jones to 1861. Deadwood Dick was a black gunslinger, but of course you knew that? There's also a Dover Books single-volume edition
(1974) of 8 different nineteenth-century dime novels, one of which features our lovable chum. If you go to abebooks.com & do a keyword search for deadwood dick, a number of books will come up, including some of the original c19 titles. As far as I know, "Edward L. Wheeler" was no pseudonym, but I could easily be wrong. Halloway House, by the way, that great 1960s "sleaze" publisher, did a bunch of DD books in the 1960s, but I don't know if they were new ones hired out, or old ones reprinted. If they WERE farmed out--imagine Robert Beck (Iceberg Slim) writing a DD book!

Best, Rob

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM