RARA-AVIS: Re: About Deadwood

From: Steve Novak ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Jun 2005

It¹s refreshing to find people in love with Deadwood, since I have it in my mind as high as the other stupendous series that TV ever produced: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley¹s People from BBC...Unfortunately not many people seems (in the public at large and even in the film production and advertising world in which I work) to appreciate it and it¹s only the occasional friend or associate that will mention it¹s excellence and use readily the famous expletive as a sign of recognition...I guess living in the midwest (Detroit area) doesn¹t help...but I¹m not even shure this has a role to play given the overall climate...Maybe some of you on the East coast have a different view...Sadly enough a high-placed creative director mentioned in the same sentence that he loved the¹Housewives¹ series and didn¹t like Deadwood because ³not much happens in it...there¹s no action...²...go figure what this c........r was looking at...???...maybe some nice twenty layers of EFX and image treatment would have pleased him more...

I saw th first series on DVD and thank god there was a French subtitle option that helped my wife (also French) and its existence prompted me to ask several crime writers and critics friends in France if the series had gotten there...and I would have assumed that it would be welcomed there by both critics and the public at large...I also sent e-mails to the discussions groups in France about crime and noir novels to which I belong
(Rompol/Mauvais Genres/Europolar) warning them about this great series and especiallly about the script writing and its other form: editing, but since they knew nothing about it, they couldn¹t Œparticipate¹ to my enthousiasm or analysis...and even, in typical French fashion, one of the group leaders refused my e-mail for distribution since it didn¹t concern directly crime novels!!!!... I wonder if fellow Frenchman Andr頫nows why this has not gone to France yet???... Yet, somebody payed to have all these subtitles (French/Spanish) made and I would assume that a distribution deal in advance would have taken care of those checks...maybe it¹s out in Qu颥c???...

Just so you know, there is an interesting article in NYTimes this morning about a new TV series called ³Into The West² and the critic (Alexandra Stanley) makes several comparisons between this new saga and ³Deadwood² which greatly favor David Milch¹s production. I include that critique as an attachment. I assume that most of you know these two websites: http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/ where more info can be obtained.

Question to Jim: did Walter Hill use also the same sets and/or locations for his Geronimo of 1993??... And we should remember that he did the great The Long Riders...and Southern Comfort with Carradine...

Merci for this interesting discussion which is dead center in the writing range we deal with...

Sylvestre (Steve) Noval...le Montois de D鴲oit

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM