Re: RARA-AVIS: D. Lynds: Work habits

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 May 2005

Dennis wrote:

"At first, of course, I wrote largely at night after work (I was an editor of trade magazines in the chemical industry in New York). I wrote damn near every night, poems and short stories. It probably cost me my first wife.   I wrote my first three novels at night working a full-time job. During this period I wrote whenever I could while having a rather hectic social life in New York."

You mentioned earlier that Uptown Downtown, which I've just barely started, was highly autobiographical, as I can see from your above description. I was wondering how you deal with autobiographal material while writing. How much is truth, how much invention? I'm not so much asking what in the book is true as about the writing process of using and changing life into literature. I know that's kind of vague, but any insight would be appreciated.

As for autobiographical, though, I'm curious about how immersed you were in the early '60s Village folk scene. You mentioned knowing Leadbelly slightly. Did you know other principals on the scene? Were you a spectator or did you play, like your character? Were you actively involved in the politics of the time?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM