RARA-AVIS: Mr. Lynds, Mr. Lynds...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 29 May 2005

Dennis wrote, among other things:

> So forget about the marketplace. Write your book, throw it out there,
> and
> see if anyone bites. Then write another book.
>
> For what any of that was worth.

It was worth a lot to those who need to hear it. Because suddenly so many people think they're writers, any whack upside the head is a good one.

> Finally, thanks for inviting me, Bill. I had expected more questions
> from
> more people, but ten years of no novels is a long time, and the new
> generation of readers doesn't know me or my books, especially the later
> ones.

Thanks, Dennis, and I feel a little bad for not pestering you more with questions (it's been a hectic month), since I'm one of the ones responsible for hooking you and Bill up.

So here goes:

First Slot-Machine, then Dan. What is it with you and one-winged eyes? As a gimp myself, I'm curious....

The Playboy Press paperback editions of the Dan Fortune books featured some very attractive women in some pretty beat up positions. Considering the fuss even just the cover of Stansberry's THE CONFESSION received from some members of SinC, I was wondering: Were you the first male member to rise from the ranks of Sisters-in-Crime, and did they see those covers before they let you in?

I think one of the reasons you're a mystery to younger readers is that your later books are not widely available in paperback. And you persist in writing intelligent books that demand your readers meet you at least halfway and accept the currently unfashionable theory that everything is not black and white.

John Shannon, a writer who shares many of your political sensibilities, is currently in much the same position as you. Are publishers perhaps shying away from any fiction with a political edge that isn't dumbed-down enough to be pigeon-holed?

We've still got a few days. Let us pick your brain.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM