RE: RARA-AVIS: Hidden River & Citizen Vince

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 24 May 2005

(Apologies if this winds up as a double post. I think I botched sending a previous version of this.)

I'm a sucker for books set in the recent past, I and just finished two pretty good ones.

Hidden River by Adrian McKinty (author of the terrific Dead I May Well Be) is set in Denver of the 90s and is a fine follow-up. A possible spoiler is than anyone who's read a bit of noir will see the twist coming a long way away, but it's a fun ride getting there. McKinty is a writer I'm looking forward to reading for years to come.

I picked up Citizen Vince by Jess Walter based on the Ken Bruen blurb it received. It may be a bit too medium-boiled for some on this list, but I liked this tale of a small-time crook trying to make good. It's set in Spokane (with a detour to NYC) in 1980 with the presidential election as a backdrop throughout.

On a different topic, by chance I flipped passed Michael Connelly on the Tavis Smiley show last night. It's the first time I've seen him interviewed, but it has me looking forward to reading The Closers.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM