RARA-AVIS: Domenic Stansberry

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 24 May 2005

I found the essay most refreshing and maybe even a little inspiring, but I wish the so-called status quo Stansberry refers to were as real as he, and others expressing his point of view, would like to believe, because it certainly doesn't exist in my unstable life, and it's nice reading stories where everything gets fixed in the end. That being said (and at the risk of running a little off-topic), as one of those yet-to-be-discovered scribes, I'm afraid I'm more interested in making a living than standing current conventions on their head. Which proves Stansberry's point. :( As soon as I don't have to work anymore, we'll see..... but I think it's possible to upset the genre while also writing within it. I think Hammett and Chandler were able to do that just fine, have quasi-happy endings, and include in some of the fatalism - if you will - that Stansberry advocates. --Brian

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM