RARA-AVIS: Lynds Short Story

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 20 May 2005

Dennis wrote:

>Kent,

>Sure I remember the blurb for UPTOWN DOWNTOWN. My second novel..

I'd published a short story in NEW WORLD WRITING #11, and the editor, Brad Cimmings asked me if I had a novel.

Dennis, was the short story, Yellow Gal? While looking for something that I could read quickly last night, I picked up my copy of The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction edited by Ed Gorman. When I noticed that you had a story in it, I read it and enjoyed it very much. Was the singer actually based on someone? The references to Josh White, Sonny Boy Williamson and Bessie Smith got me wondering.

The acknowledgment said the story first appeared in New World Writing in 1957, but didn't mention the volume number. Of course, I wasn't able to check my collection of New World Writing as it's in a box somewhere in my garage.

By the way, Ted Holland, who co-writes a sports column with me here in Winnipeg, told me that he worked on the Daily Iowan at the U of Iowa with Gayle. He was wondering if she's taking time out from her writing to attend the big reunion the paper is holding this summer. Small world once again.

Kent Morgan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM