Re: RARA-AVIS: Lynds Cover Blurb

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 14 May 2005

Dennis wrote:

"I thought of it as a step sideways into novels of ethics rather than metaphysics."

Interesting distinction.

"And possibly a step down in that it was done to make money."

Well, I, for one, am glad you needed to eat and started writing crime fiction.

"Now I know that the detective or crime novel is in actuality the perfect form for the social novel, and that was why I chose it."

George Pelecanos has said much the same thing in interviews.

"I got, and still get, grief from everyone. No one in the business wants to offend or confuse potential readers by having strong views, or any views at all. The only folks I have nearly always done well with are critics and reviewers."

And a bunch of readers on this list, at least. In fact, I think it's a testament to how well integrated the social content is that any reader, regardless of political outlook, could still enjoy your books for the plots and characters. For instance, while my politics largely agree with yours, I know Jim Doherty's don't, as he mentioned in his greeting to you. However, we both enjoy your work very much.

I wonder if readers aren't given enough credit (by marketers, not authors). I don't check a writer's politics before I read a book. While I probably am somewhat flattered when a character I like has views similar to mine, I can still be fascinated by a character (or author) whose views are diametrically opposed to mine. In fact, it can sometimes be more fascinating, offering me insight into something alien to me. I would have missed a lot of great books if I only read ones featuring thoughts and actions I approved of. I certainly wouldn't be able to read any books featuring first person murderers and criminals, some of which are among my favorite crime novels.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM