Re: RARA-AVIS: Fortune/First person

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 14 May 2005

Richard,

Voice is everything in fiction. The older I get the more I use my "voice." If you seriously study your favorite books and authors, I think you'll realize it was always the voice that got to you. Of course, by "voice" we mean much more than the words: we mean the attitude, the particular choice of metaphor, the way we look at the world, the personal "tics." That is why Daniel Woodrell is my contemporary favorite writer---that voice of his.

Thanks for reading NIGHT OF THE TOADS, it has always been a favorite. In fact, you might say it is my first "real" Dan Fortune novel.

I chose first person for the Fortune books because a PI is by nature an observer, commentator, and narrator. And I wanted the sense that Danny himself was writing the books, a style I developed much farther in the last seven books. (If you check all my Slot-Machine stories when Crippen publishes them, I think you'll find that the last Slot's are also first person.)

I also used first person for my Paul Shaw novels. It's natural for a PI voice.

For Kane Jackson I wanted more distance, more detachment, more noirish so used close third. It seemed right for a more cynical, more professional man who essentially does the job, and leaves an entirely different personal life totally divorced from his "work."

Dennis-Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Moore" < moorich2@aol.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 5:33 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Fortune/First person

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM