Re: RARA-AVIS: Lynds Cover Blurb

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 14 May 2005

Dennis,

Several times you've alluded to your starting out as a serious novelist
(don't think those were the words you used, but you get the idea) and how that later affected your crime writing. However, I'm curious about how you made the transition from literary to genre work. At the time, did you see it as a step down, or simply sideways? Has your perspective on the difference, if any, changed?

Speaking of that serious novelist's social consciousness that starting creeping into your genre work, that's one of the things I've always liked so much in your crime novels. And unlike Travis McGee's rants, say, the critique is skillfully woven into the texture of the books, never becoming a sermon. I found it especially impressive when I moved from Dan Fortune to Paul Shaw, how the critique remained, although viewed from the two detectives' very different social positions. Anyway, I was wondering if you ever got/get grief for that social consciousness? If so, from whom, publishers, editors, readers?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM