Re: RARA-AVIS: Looking for hard-boiled westerns

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 12 May 2005

Ron said, "Look for H.A. DeRosso. Five-Star put out three or four short-story hardcover collections (and one novel, I believe) by him several years ago...and they're quite good. Bill Pronzini calls him "...the Cornell Woolrich of the western genre", and he's not far off. Good stuff.

"I believe Leisure reprinted one of the collections in paperback as well."

I haven't seen the collection, but Leisure did reprint a novel called .44 that's well worth a look.

And while we're on this topic, I think I've mentioned Clifton Adams' THE DESPERADO and A NOOSE FOR THE DESPERADO before. Both early Gold Medals, and therefore not easy to find in stores. But check abebooks.

Bill Crider

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM