Re: RARA-AVIS: Another Heresy -- The Black Mask and other pulp fiction

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 May 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Lynds" <dennislynds@c...> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Agree on everything! Wow
>
> It's not Hammett's, Chandler's, or any writer's fault if people copy
> EVERYTHING in his books down to the time, place, language and even mistakes.

I think that Hammett has been far less imitated than Chandler. The latter's more romantic view of life --cynical but romantic nevertheless-- is easier to imitate and probably easier to sell than Hammett's cold-blooded and objective style. The Hammett influence is less visible, though Gores and Westlake as Richard Stark, already mentioned, are notable examples. Less visible because his style, like Hemingway's, became part of the modern style in American literature. I would say his influence goes well beyond detective or crime fiction. I am not sure that Chandler's does, and even within crime fiction, many writers received Chandler through Ross Macdonald, a very different sort of writer.

Best,

MrT

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM