Re: RARA-AVIS: Conrad, Hemingway and Faulkner (was: Dan Fortune series)

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 07 May 2005

Jacques,

No, I never had the pleasure of meeting Algren. Certainly wish I had. His big four novels, and many of the stories in NEON WILDERNESS---cut to the bone for me, and could be called life-changing. (Even if, in reality, he wrote two version of the same story in those books.)

After the start of his long affair with Simone de Beauvoir, he seems to have changed and somewhat lost his way.

I enjoyed Paul Bowles writing, but there was something too detached, too decadent, too lush about his work, as if I were wallowing in soft flesh, and yet something sadistic too.

A minor aside: My take on Algren is that he belonged to to that type of writer who has a "home region, a microcosm," from which all his inspiration and imagination comes, as did Faulkner and many of the Southern Writers, while Conrad and Hemingway had no true home region and therefor wrote about the macrocosm. Both, of course, are searching for universals in their suject matter.

Just an observation that relates to my own writing. I never had a true home region myself, and therefore had to write about the universe in general.

Best,

Dennis etc,

Original Message ----- rom: "Jacques Debierue" < matrxtech@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 12:29 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Conrad, Hemingway and Faulkner (was: Dan Fortune series)

> Dennis, did you know Nelson Algren? I'm very interested in his work.
Sadly, he seems

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM