RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Another Heresy -- The Black Mask and other pulp fiction

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 07 May 2005

Jim wrote: "In fact, since the phrase "better corpses" appears several times in those connected "town tamer" stories, I suspect it may even have BEEN published as a novel, in England under the title BETTER CORPSES, but I'm not absolutely sure of this."

Jim, You are correct, sir. "Better Corpses" was one of the last Race Williams novels - though not published in the U.S. I've read the serialized version in "The Adventures of Race Williams" but have yet to buy the whole novel (it's available at the VIntage Library as an e-book as are several of Daly's other books and that seems to be the only source for Daly's stuff). But that's not the only town-tamer story Daly did. In the same collection, he did it again with "City of Blood" but I have yet to be able to get through that one (it's horrid). As (apparently) the only Carroll John Daly fan on this list, I'm of the opinion that he could have been a contender if he really worked at it. The other four stories in the "Adventures" collection are pretty good, and "The Tag Murders", "Tainted Power", and "The Third Murderer" are pretty good as well (bad dialogue and clunky writing aside, but nothing worse than the recent "Star Wars" movies). --Brian--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM