Re: RARA-AVIS: Conrad, Hemingway and Faulkner (was: Dan Fortune series)

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 06 May 2005

In a message dated 5/6/05 12:58:22 PM, bsandyman@att.net writes:

> After reading this thoughtful reply it occurred to me that was meant was
> that Hemingway wrote about a person effecting the environment, situation, what
> ever that he was in, while Conrad wrote about the situation effecting the
> person.
>
> Put another way, one might ask what changes from the beginning to the end of
> stories from these authors. Ex. The Old Man comes back from the ocean with
> the carcass of a sword fish. Yes it isn't much, and he had to fight hard to
> get that, but the universe did have to yield just that little bit. By contrast
> the universe in 'Heart of Darkness' is immutable and it is the people that
> change. (At least as far as my sketchy memory allows me to comment.)
>
> To write about the human condition, is to write about the situation that
> human's find themselves in, possibly at the expense of the characters. (Seems
> like this is one of the main appeals of Noir and existentialism. YMMV.) It
> needs human characters to make the point, but your not really talking about the
> human.

almost sounds like the difference between noir and hard boiled

John Lau

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM