Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 May 2005

Kerry wrote:

Grace under pressure? What a pleasant homily for the powerful. I think you may just have confirmed Etienne's point.

*************** I think not. Hemingway's characters do not need to be powerful to aspire to grace under pressure. Deserters, cowards, and failures, most of them are struggling just to survive.

There exists a macho stereotype of Hemingway's writing that is a gross perversion of the import of his actual work. It's fueled by an aversion to his persona and reinforced by not reading his work beyond classroom requisites. As always, ignorance is a superb companion to prejudice.

miker

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM