Re: RARA-AVIS: Santa Barbara

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 04 May 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Lynds"

> The Santa Barbara Writers Lunch---actually brought from Sarasota,
Florida,
> by Willard Temple, a slick magazine writer, in the Fifties---was
totally
> unstructured.

I did not go that often back then because those were the years I was
> publishing as many as five, even six, novels a year. In 1973 I had
to move
> the family back to New York for about two years, and when I
returned to
> Santa Barbara, I rejoined the lunch

Do you know if Newton Thornburg was a part of this group? He moved to Santa Barbara in (I guess) the mid-70s, and wrote what is for me the definitive Santa Barbara novel, CUTTER AND BONE.

> Over the years we
> had the poets Phil Levine and Henri Coulette, the novelists William
Eastlake

Eastlake is another one of my favorite writers. His surreal war novel CASTLE KEEP is in many ways superior to CATCH 22.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM