Re: RARA-AVIS: Dan Fortune series

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 03 May 2005

Dear Claus,

    No, CADILLAC COWBOY is not a Dan Fortune. It was the first of what I hoped would be a new series featuring a hero who may or may not be actually named Ford Morgan---Dan was getting a bit old, and the Fortune books were earning less money. It started as an attempt to write a thriller but ended up being pretty much the same as a Dan Fortune. I started another thriller and finally completed it this year and hope to have it published soon.)

But Dan kept going in short stories, and I am now ready to bring him back, in novels maybe along with Morgan who is also The Irishman from THE IRISHMAN'S HORSE!

As for German publication, Ullstein stayed with me all the way to RED ROSA, as you said. With RED ROSA they upgraded me to trade paper and paid a relatively large advance. But Ullstein had been bought some years before by a right winger, and, maybe because they paid more, he must have actually read RED ROSA and that was the end of my Ullstein career. Which means I still have 5 Collins novels never published in Germany.

Of the Mark Sadlers, I think only DEADLY INNOCENTS, the last, was published in Germany, and it is the weakest of the Sadlers. The first four are the best. Goldman published most of the John Crowe novels, and Heyne published some William Ardens (Adult books featuring industrial spy Kane Jackson. All my 3Investigator juveniles were published in Germany, of course.)

Best,

Dennis-Michael, etc.

----- Original Message ----- From: "kerkhoc" < Claus_Kerkhoff@web.de> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:54 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Dan Fortune series

Mr. Lynds, Welcome and thanks for joining this list.

I'm also a big fan of your Dan Fortune novels. They were published in Germany up to "Red Rosa". Most of your novels under your pseudonyms Mark Sadler, John Crowe, and Carl Dekker have been also published. I have enjoyed them very well not knowing that they were written by the same person. Does "The Cadillac Cowboy" really belong to the Fortune series? I remember Langford "Ford" Morgan & Roy Shepherd to be the main characters, arenĀ“t they?

Best regards Claus

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM