RARA-AVIS: Plot vs. Character

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 May 2005

Jim Winter offers and interesting take on this, but in spite of the fact that it is all labeled
"opinion" it has a kind of dogmatic flavor.

There are many reasons we like noir. Many reason we like plot, and I don't think there are any absolutes you can attribute to one or the other.

Jim concludes: "I don't believe crime fiction, when done even moderately well, is plot driven at all."

If we narrowly defnine crime fiction to, "a novel in which a crime is paramount." I think it is too broad a generalization it is "never" plot driven.

Agatha Christie for all her interesting characters still needs the plot that moves steadily forward until Poirot, Marple or whoever difinitively says who committed the crime. I'm not sure even the most jaded noir or hardboiled among us can say that Christie doesn't do it well?

Maybe we on Rara-Avis don't generally like what she does (did) but she did do it well.

Dueling opinions with Jim here.

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com -- updated
"Shadow of the Dahlia" now at BN.com This novel now nominated for a Shamus

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM