RARA-AVIS: Re: All the Flowers

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 4:07 AM, Betsy wrote:

> There was more of Scudder's sensibility in Small Town or whatever his
> post
> 9/11 eulogy for New York was titled than in All the Flowers Are Dying.
> I don't
> know if introducing a cartoonish serial killer in Hope to Die and
> returning him
> in All the Flowers is a marketing ploy or whether Larry Block is
> genuinely
> interested in serial killers, but I hope he doesn't do it again.

He's been doing it for years, actually -- in fact, he may have been one of the first crime writers to write about so many of them over the years.

ENOUGH ROPE, his awesome short story collection which goes back to the, um, fifties, is full of serial killer stories. And while FLOWERS is a vast step up from HOPE TO DIE (Block's still one ballsy writer) it's not EVERYBODY DIES.

Kevin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM