Re: RARA-AVIS: Language

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 24 Mar 2005

In a message dated 3/24/05 6:14:37 AM, winter_writes@earthlink.net writes:

> Come the seventies, the gloves are off.

that's where it's at, my friends. Jacks attributes it to returning Vietnam vets. I believe it is much more closely tied to the cultural revolution of the 60s. people started dressing a lot less formally as a result as well. nowadays, if you see a guy in a Fedora, it's an affectation

but for better or worse, that's the language we're stuck with these days, and if you censure yourself, it will be apparent to the reader

while we're on the subject, one can't find more naturalistic sounding dialogue in hardboiled these days than those spoken by Brian Azzerello's often-doomed characters in his comic book anthology series 100 Bullets

John Lau

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM