RARA-AVIS: Language

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2005

Wasn't it also Hammett who said.

"He told me to do something that was anatomacally imposssible." ?

Contrary to belief here, street language and langage in generally was not sprinkled with the everyother sentence use of "fuck" or its many offshoots.

I have a theory:

After World War II and Korea all the service men came home and adjusted their language for polite society.

Viet Nam took about ten years, so the soldiers came home piecemeal and the ex-military talked to the old ex-military in the language of the Viet Nam serviceman.

It was passed on to women and to kids. Now,
"fuck" is part of the language but there is still an element of society, mostly people 60 or 70 plus who are ignorant of the reality of the younger generations.

What's the point, Jack?

Damn if I know, unless it's a writer does what he has to with language to make it work in his books or stories and that reality can be tempered with a genuine love of the language. One "fuck," well placed, is worth a dozen sprinkled around for reality.

No "fucks" when nobody notices is effective as well.

Jack Bludis.

Shamus and Anthony nominee http://www.jackbludis.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM