RARA-AVIS: Re: Violence for the sake of...?

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 23 Mar 2005

>> No, actually, this happens to be true of crime fiction and
>> literature in general from the '50s...It's not hypothetical, it's
>> a fact that writers were constrained then and I used Goodis as
>> the likely example.

Anytime you're guessing what someone else would have done without any basis or fact, it is purely hypothetical. Now if you had listed Ed Wood (Plan 9 from Out of Space), that would've been a reasonable guess ...

Come on, even today there are writers who don't use profanities. And you won't find any in EQMM or AHMM (I just sold a story to EQMM and had to clean up the language). Is using profanities in writing creating a more natural, realistic writing or is it a cheap way out? I don't know - again, I haven't come to terms with this one yet.

> No offense taken at all. I thought we were just generalizing...

Here's something to take offense at: How about them Knicks??

(back in December, after the Sox won the World Series and the Patriots were rolling towards another Super Bowl, Jason, a delusional NY fan tried to argue with me about the Jets chances, and finally came back with "How about those Celtics?" - I guess at the time the Knicks were one game up. Kind of pathetic ...)

-Dave Z.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM