RARA-AVIS: Nerdy Gold Medal / John D. MacDonald question...

From: robhenryson ( msharp@binghamton.edu)
Date: 22 Mar 2005

Hi all,

I recently got a copy of JD MacDonald's _The Deep Blue Good-By_ at a used bookstore. Decided if I'm going to read Travis McGee, I'm going to start at the beginning. Anyway, it's a Gold Medal pb, k1405, orig. price 40c. It *appears* to be a first edition (PBO), but booksellers online have *conflicting* information about what to look for in a true first edition. One guy says that two dots following the pub. date information indicates a later printing (mine has said dots) while another guy (or girl, or woman, I suppose) says something about an "End Print Number" and how the true first *doesn't* have one on the final page of text (mine does not have one). So according to one guy I've got a true first, and acc. to the other, a second printing of the first. I told you this was a nerdy question. Does anyone out there know anything about authenticating Gold Medal pbs?

Many thanks, Michael

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM