Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen and the Tinkers

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 21 Mar 2005

Al wrote:

"Incidentally, first scene I read after sending my last email involved a violent exchange in which a few teeth were knocked out (Day Keene: IF THE COFFIN FITS). I suspect that the loss of teeth in scenes of fictional violence is always going to figure highly. Teeth are an obvious symbol of aggression, so knocking them out emasculates (or pacifies, if emasculation isn't applicable)."

I agree that violent dental work has been around for a while and is very likely to stay. Like all common genre elements, the difference between effective image and cliche is determined by the skill of the writer.

Karin mentioned in passing that eye damage, real or threatened, also got to her. Me, too. Threats to eyes have also been around for a while. In fact, images of pointy objects approaching eyes (many from legendary EC comics) were a major complaint of Fredric J. Wertham, whose book Seduction of the Innocent, was the bible of those trying to clean up comics in the1950s.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM