RARA-AVIS: Re: All the Flowers

From: Betsyaw@aol.com
Date: 21 Mar 2005

In a message dated 03/21/2005 6:39:22 AM, Bill Denton writes:

> He's done it again, after doing that in HOPE TO DIE, the previous Scudder?
> After so many books in the first person, I wonder what's made him change.
> Scudder is the core of them all, and his voice and the way tells the
> stories is what makes them.  You really feel you get to know him over the
> years.

There was more of Scudder's sensibility in Small Town or whatever his post 9/11 eulogy for New York was titled than in All the Flowers Are Dying. I don't know if introducing a cartoonish serial killer in Hope to Die and returning him in All the Flowers is a marketing ploy or whether Larry Block is genuinely interested in serial killers, but I hope he doesn't do it again. There's no room: you have Scudder in the moment, Scudder's memories, Manhattan, Elaine, Scudder's sidekick the computer diva, and Larry Block's enchanting way with voices: the woman who hires Scudder to follow her boyfriend is pitch perfect, and the scene where she hires him is low-key but a person could learn a semester's worth about writing from it. Betsy

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM