Re: RARA-AVIS: intro

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Mar 2005

Hi, Laura,

Welcome to Rara-Avis. Re your comment below:

> I look forward to any recommendations. Right now, I
> think my favorite
> is historical mystery, but I'm reading a little bit
> of everything.

I gather from your post that you're not intimately familiar with hard-boiled and/or noir crime fiction. That being the case, and given your preference for historical mysteries, let me suggest the Nate Heller novels of Max Allan Collins. Nate is a tough Chicago private eye who gets involved in a variety of real-life crimes from the assassination of Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak to the Lindbergh kidnapping to the Black Dahlia murder case.

Heller's best friend is an incorruptible federal agent named Eliot Ness. Yes, THAT Eliot Ness. In addition to the Heller novels, Collins has spun off a series featuring Ness as the main character, set later in his career, after he'd left federal service and become the head of the Cleveland Police.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM