Victor Gischler (WAS: Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Humour)

From: tootsbinswanger ( donna.moore@virgin.net)
Date: 09 Mar 2005

Bill wrote:

> > Not to mention his most recent, SQUEEZE PLAY, already getting
rave
> > reviews,
> > though it's available only in review copies so far.

Just in case anyone's rushing to amazon to buy it (and if not, why not?!) the third one is called SUICIDE SQUEEZE. Bill, I'm very jealous of you if you've read it already.

And Brian wrote:

>Vic Gischler is a writer of power and discernment, with a
> strong handle on the narrative, good characterization, strong
plotting,
> first-rate dialogue, and a wit as dry as the Sahara.

And a really, really warped mind. I like that in a person :o)

Gun Monkeys also has one of my favourite opening lines of any book:

I turned the Chrysler onto the florida Turnpike with Rollo Kramer's headless body in the trunk, and all the time I'm thinking I should have put some plastic down.

Which also reminds me of two other hard boiled humour writers who I didn't mention in my last post. They have excellent first lines too -
 so good that I remember them:

James Crumley's LAST GOOD KISS:

When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.

and Neville Smith's GUMSHOE

He looked like the kind of guy your mother would like to marry your sister. If you had a mother. If you had a sister.

Donna

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM