RE: RARA-AVIS: False Allegations

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Mar 2005

I just reread Strega a few months ago and didn't find it overblown. Vachss is very good at padding things, however - that I will concede. You can read 50 pages of one of his books and suddenly realize the plot hasn't even begun, but you've learned a ton about life in prison, life on the street, etc., through Burke's (very dark and creepy) ruminations.

Vachss is definately not for everybody, and anybody new to the party should probably buy a used copy of one of his early books (skip Flood, the very first - I read it twice and still didn't know what the heck was going on) so they don't have a huge investment in a new copy.

As for Vachss' short story collections.... BORN BAD is a total keeper; EVERYBODY PAYS wasn't half as good.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM