Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Humour

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Mar 2005

Donna wrote:

Oh goody - dark and funny, just my favourite type of book.
  I'll third the suggestions for Ken Bruen. His books make you feel as though you shouldn't be laughing, but you just have to. Also Charles Willeford, Daniel Woodrell (does that make me weird?)Jim Thompson (yes, OK, it's official - I'm weird), Charlie Stella, Allan Guthrie, Robert Ferrigno, Joe Lansdale (especially the Hap and Leonard series). Ray Banks' THE BIG BLIND is deliciously warped...

************** Great selection, Donna! Willeford and Woodrell are wonderful. Ray Banks I'm not familiar with. Victor Gischler, who you mentioned beyond where I snipped, was definitely dark and outrageously funny. It's hard to beat exploding donuts. I wonder if he's come out with anything since GUN MONKEYS.

miker

__________________________________ Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM