RARA-AVIS: ending of THE POSTMAN

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 08 Mar 2005

>The ending to THE POSTMAN is indeed a
>> humorous irony. They finally quit their selfish
>> scheming and actually love one another, and all of a
>> sudden Cora is dead and Frank is condemned to death
>> for a murder he did not commit. You gotta love it!

I think the part about Frank's romance with the lady with the pet leopard is funny, but as for the ending, it is ironic, yes, and yet corroded with the hard reality of what passes for justice. Frank and Cora were judged innocent of killing Nick because of the private contest between the two lawyers. Frank's manipulated the truth more
 effectively than his opponent. But for Cora's accidental death, at the point where Frank would never have harmed her, the fiction of a down-and-outer's greed for money overcoming any other emotion convinced the same sort of jury that bought the lawyer's sophistry in the first instance. After al, what would any of those twelve good men and true have done? Frank and Cora heroically break thru the greed, suspicion, self-hate, entitlement, and racism that characterize their America. That doesn't excuse their crime. But their eyes are finally open. Then something sick and part of the very air they breathe destroys them. It's Chinatown.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM