RARA-AVIS: Re: hardboiled comedy

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 08 Mar 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "crimeflix" <jmks100@a...> wrote:

> Humor is so subjective...especially in noir fiction where it can
be
> very subtle. I agree that there's some humor in Goodis, but only
for
> certain sense of humors.

Humor's a funny thing (only small pun intended). Personally I find Goodis one of the more depressed and somber noir writers I've come across. But that's me. Hey, next you're going to tell me there are people out there who find Woody Allen's last half dozen movies funny!

Nobody's mentioned Jonathan Latimer yet. His William Crane books have almost a screwball feel to them, but still hardboiled. And Solomon Vineyard's - which is as hardboiled as it gets, is very perversely funny.

-Dave Z.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM