Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: hardboiled comedy

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 07 Mar 2005

In a message dated 3/7/05 2:38:20 PM, miker_zspider@yahoo.com writes:

> BaxDeal suggested hardboiled or noir writing almost
> completely devoid of humour:
>
> Andrew Vachss comes to mind.

> Oh, yeah!  Good call!  Taibo, too, probably.  Way
> serious.
>
> miker

I'm sorry you couldn't finish SMOKER. I think I said before you started reading it that it was the least of Rucka's books, with the last one, CRITICAL SPACE a mind blower if you've been following the series. I'm currently reading his A GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT, which is based on his graphic novel heroine Tara Chace. it stands alone without having read the comics, Rucka goes to great lengths to bring the reader up to speed with the characters, which is my only quibble with the book, since I don't require it. he has tremendous knowledge of middle eastern politics. the story is about a highly plausible terrorist act in London and the response of the British government. the book is very difficult to put down

John Lau

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM