Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard and hardboiled comedy

From: Michael Robison (
Date: 07 Mar 2005

Bruce wrote:

I have read Elmore Leonard's "Be Cool" and just saw the movie this afternoon. I find him very enjoyable, and technically excellent, but pretty lightweight. Has anyone coined the phrase "hardboiled comedy," which I think would apply to Leonard?

************ I credit Hammett with the first hardboiled comedy, THE THIN MAN. It wasn't very funny, though. More pathetic, but I believe exactly in line with what Hammett was shooting for. As Marc mentioned, Prather did hardboiled comedy. It's pathetic, but not in a good sorta way. The Macdonald Fletch novels might come under the hardboiled comedy heading also. I started one but haven't been able to finish it.

__________________________________ Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!