Re: RARA-AVIS: Badge of Evil

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 04 Mar 2005

Anders wrote:

"Excellent novel, but the movie is even better. I don't mind Heston as a mexican at all. Odd thing is, in the novel it is Janet Leigh's character that's mexican, not Heston's."

I don't know much about the behind the scenes decisions involving Touch of Evil (except for Welles's memo), but I'm guessing that it was a very conscious decision to cast a well known white man as the Mexican. That way audiences could accept the mixed marriage with a nod and a wink, knowing that they were both really white. Remember, execs were very hesitant about showing Ricky and Lucy as a married couple on TV around the same time.

And have things really changed that much? From what I've read, a lot of thought went into the race/ethnicity of Will Smith's romatic interest in Hitch -- they figured casting a black woman would render it a black film in the eyes of audiences, severely limiting its crossover potential, but casting a white woman opposite him would raise racial issues in America
(but not Europe), among both blacks and whites. So they went with a Latina.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM