RARA-AVIS: Re: Somerset Maugham

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Mar 2005

> *************
> The only thing I've read by Maugham is his OF HUMAN
> BONDAGE, a good book but off-topic for the list. I
> did see a movie recently called Secret Agent, which
> said it was based on one of his books. It had the
> typical lighting that's attributed to a noir flick,
> without really being too noirish.
>
> miker

If that's the Hitchcock movie it's based on ASHENDEN, his autobiographical novel about being a spy in WWI. I can't say I've read a lot of his work, but some of what I've read has a dark, cynical quality that could pass for noir. The Bette Davis film noir THE LETTER is an adaption of one of his stories as is CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY another film noir according to Silver & Ward's FILM NOIR encyclopedia (but one I haven't seen).

Max

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM