RARA-AVIS: Chandler on Atlee

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 01 Mar 2005

I think Chandler's quote on the cover of the Joe Gall books came from a letter to James Atlee Phillips who in turn let the GM editor Knox Burger see it. Furthermore I think that Phillips said later he didn't get the letter back from Burger. In the personal letter Chandler raved about Phillips's style. He couldn't have said anything about the Joe Gall books because he died before the first one in the series was published. I think Chandler was used to call to Phillips at night drunk and babble about all kinds of things. I don't remember anymore where this info came from.

I've read only the translations of the Joe Gall books and some of them are strictly appalling. I have however several in English and intend to read them someday.

Juri

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM