RE: RARA-AVIS: The White Trilogy by Ken Bruen

From: Burridge, Stephen ( stephen.burridge@hp.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2005

I thought there were mistakes in "The Killing of the Tinkers" as well. If my memory is correct (it's a few months since I read the book,)
"Pelecanos" was misspelled in a couple of different ways.

-----Original Message----- From: Karin Montin [mailto: kmontin@sympatico.ca] Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 1:35 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: The White Trilogy by Ken Bruen

After I read Ken Bruen's The Guards and The Killing of the Tinkers, I couldn't stop raving. Imagine my delight when I received two late Christmas presents, The White Trilogy and Blitz.

But there are so many writing/editing/proofreading mistakes in The White Trilogy (published by Justin, Charles and Co.), I'm going crazy.

Bruen has a clipped yet literary style, and he takes a lot of liberties in boiling his sentences down to the essentials, so sometimes I'm not sure if some strange thing that catches my eye is an intentional idiosyncrasy. But there are tons of things I'm sure need fixing.

To start with, right on the first page, the possessive of Roberts is given as Robert's. Off to a flying start. Similarly the possessive of Eddings becomes Edding's. Maybe I'm being finicky.

But how about this: The singer of the Cowboy Junkies is referred to as Mango Tameness. Mango three times on one page! Now I debated whether this was just a little humorous touch, but Bruen's work is full of references to books and music and he doesn't seem to mess with people's names.

Or a psycho raving about how he will "smote the heathers."

Or a guy falling "like a thin sack of flower."

So dear Ken, if you read this, please write for more examples. I had to start taking notes in self-defence.

Karin

PS I still like the book.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM