RARA-AVIS: Gonzo: Let 'im Rip....

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 2:48 AM, Richard wrote:

> When you think about it, biting the loud end of his gun was about the
> best way Thompson could have gone. A real Papa kind of exit. It would
> be soooo discouraging to have read that he was found slumped next to
> the toilet with a needle in his arm, a la Lenny Bruce.

I dunno. When you can't live up to your own legend/ego/bullshit, you pull the trigger? Seems sorta pathetic to me.

Lenny Bruce dying like that is pathetic, too, but it's also tragic. It's hard to feel sorry, though, for someone who deliberately kills themselves. In most cases, it just seems like a selfish, cowardly way to go.

But if Thompson was going to do it, maybe a self-induced fatal enema over Nixon's grave or swallowing a hand grenade on MEET THE PRESS would have been more in keeping with his lifesyle. Eating his gun seems a particular pedestrian and unimaginative way to go.

Maybe he thought he was answering the telephone.

At least Johnny Depp and some of Mr. Fear and Loathing's other pals have the right idea -- they're going to cremate him and make his ashes into a cannonball. I'm not sure what or who the target is.

Kevin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM