RARA-AVIS: Re: Your Favorite Parker's-cubicle openings: Denton

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Feb 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Denton <buff@p...> wrote:
> On 18 February 2005, Michael Robison wrote:
> Most of Stark's books start with the "when (something), Parker
(did X)"
> construction (which must have some grammatical name I don't know).
> Sometimes I make up my own versions, for when Parker's working in
a boring
> office job: "When Outlook reminded him of his eleven o'clock
meeting,
> Parker was finishing his third game of Solitaire." "When the
coffee urn
> stopped pouring and left his mug only half-filled, Parker got a
fresh
> package of grounds from the cupboard."

Some days, it's much tougher Not to mess anyone over in the office than to take the more common Parker route.

Last night I read a bit of vintage fannish parody, Walt Willis's take on Mike Hammer at the sf convention Clevention, not long after and inspired in part by Howard Browne's (unadmitted) pastiche of Spillane as published in FANTASTIC. It's not quite up to my memory of Fritz Leiber's nor Jean Kerr's lampoons, but fun enough.

TM (whose own Joe Guts ended his first adventure by dumping his murder weapon in a momentarily unguarded perambulator)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM