RARA-AVIS: Re: Out by Natsuo Kirino

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 2:06 AM, Gail wrote:

> I've been lurking for a while, just soaking up the incredible range
> of knowledge here about crime and noir fiction. I was wondering if
> any of you have read a Japanese crime novel called Out, by Natsuo
> Kirino? The Amazon description looks interesting (four women working
> at a factory in Tokyo, one of them kills her husband, and events
> spiral from that point on), but my bookbuying has gotten out of hand
> lately, and I'm resolved only to purchase books that come highly
> recommended. Unfortunately my local library doesn't have it. Any
> input is appreciated!

I've read it (and a review should be forthcoming in MYSTERY SCENE).

Essentially, this is one nasty ride that eventually devolves into an even nastier game of, well, sex, violence and people who need a lot of therapy. (I'm trying not to give too much away).

I'm not sure if it's a great book, or even if I'd highly recommend it, but I can't get it out of my head. I couldn't put it down when I was reading it, and couldn't put it down fast enough when I'd finished.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site 75 Years of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon http://www.thrillingdetective.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM