RARA-AVIS: Jack Webb; Nick Carters

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 16 Feb 2005

John was asking about Jack Webb. You know more than I do since you know his birth year, but since he stopped writing in the early sixties, it would seem improbable if he were alive. But according to the Fictionmags Index, he's alive. His entry goes:

WEBB, JACK; [i.e., John Alfred Webb] (1916- )
* And Start with a Blonde [Father Joseph Shanley; Sammy Golden],
(ss) Ed McBains Mystery Book #2 1960
* The First Fifty Thousand, (nv) Manhunt Mar 1955
* Little Private War, (nv) Frontier Stories Jun 1929
* The Sensuous Corpse, (nv) Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine Oct 1973

Even though the Fronties Stories must be wrong - he would've been 13 at the time!

***

About Nick Carters: some of them are good. You should try ones written by Robert Randisi and Dennis Lynds. Bill Crider's "The Coyote Connection" is actually quite good. Martin Cruz Smith's are also quite nice. Some of the more interesting ones have been written by Robert Colby (one entry), W.T. Ballard (one entry), Thomas Chastain, Michael Jahn, Craig Nova, Lionel White (IIRC, one entry), Jeffrey Wallmann and Dwight Swain. I haven't read any of the latter ones, I'm afraid, and can't say much about them except that their authors have gained notion in some other places as well. There's also Al Hine, who wrote couple Carters and "Lord Love a Duck", from which George Axelrod directed a film.

In Hubin's crime bibliography there's a listing of all the writers. You should find that in your local library (I presume).

Juri

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM