RARA-AVIS: Georges Simenon Birthday

From: Victoria Lavagette ( lavagette@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2005

American Public Media Subject: The Writer's Almanac for Sunday, February 13, 2005

It's the birthday of Belgian writer Georges Simenon, born in Li规 (1903). He's known as the master of the crime novel, and he's famous for creating the character Inspector Maigret, a police detective in Paris. Simenon wrote 84 Maigret books, and over one thousand other short stories and articles, as well as other non-Maigret books.

Simenon was born a little after one o'clock in the morning on the 13th, but his Flemish mother, Henriette, was very superstitious. She had the birth date officially recorded as February 12th because she thought the 13th was bad luck.

Simenon moved to Paris in 1922, and it was there that he started writing what he called "my pulp fiction." He wrote at a rate of about eight pages a day. These were everything from stories about spies to sappy romances for girls. He published these under the pseudonym Georges Sim, or under one of his other 16 pseudonyms. Simenon said, "I adore life but I don't fear death. I just prefer to die as late as possible."

Victoria

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM