RE: RARA-AVIS: Domenic Stansberry's *The Confession,* Charles Ardai and Kafka

From: bruce@brucemakous.com
Date: 13 Feb 2005

Jack said, "As for Kafka? He is not only noir 'ish.' He's flat out noir but with a fantasy twist."

Jack--

I'm getting it--noir is dramatized existentialism, like Kafka, Dostoevsky, et al. But is the mystery aspect a required part of the noir metaphor for human existence? I.e., must the reader not only be in suspense about what will happen next, but also be puzzled about what has happened in the past and trying to figure that out, too, per the mystery form? Or can noir be inclusive of general, non-mystery, existentialist writers like Philip Roth, Don DeLillo, Pynchon, or others. Or doesn't it matter?

I'm reading The Confession now, too, and it's very good. How about a Domenic Stansberry month for the reading list at some point this year? He must be doing something right if he's a four-time major award finalist.

Best, Bruce

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Meet the McDonald¿s® Lincoln Fry get free digital souvenirs, Web-only video and bid on the Lincoln Fry prop charity auction. http://us.click.yahoo.com/U0ptCC/fV0JAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM