RARA-AVIS: Kent Harrington/Recent Purchases/Tijuana Straits

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 05 Feb 2005

Bill Denton posted about his recent purchases and also mentioned receiving an extra copy of Kent Harrington's The Dark Ride from me. I enjoyed that book as well as Dia de Los Muertos, but have been debating about ordering a copy of Red Jungle, which Dennis McMillan has been advertising in Firsts magazine. The book did get a couple of excellent reviews yesterday on mystery blogs, which, of course, I can't find this morning.

I always enjoy hearing about the purchases of list members. The local Children's Hospital Book Market held one of its paperback sales in late January and the 40 cent table always attracts the dealers. I saw one dealer who sells primarily at the Winnipeg universities and colleges fill about eight boxes. I wasn't as successful, but did find the following:

Death Out of Focus - Bill Gault - Dell .35 Robert McGinnis cover The Mask of Fu Manchu - Sax Rohmer Ransom - Jon Cleary (Scobie Malone, Australian detective) The Body Came Back - Brett Halliday

The only books that are now missing from my Brett Halliday (Mike Shayne) collection are The Uncomplaining Corpses (1940), Framed in Blood (1951), Mike Shayne's Torrid Twelve (1961), I Come To Kill You 1971) and Win Some, Lose Some (1976). I also found a couple of John D. MacDonalds to upgrade my collection. I usually keep the book with the lowest cover price/best artwork. My JDM want list is down to Weep For Me, which I probably will never find locally, Planet of the Dreamers (Bill Crider has an extra copy he will sell me), The Executioners (not the reprint as Cape Fear), and the collection Two.

Also found a copy of The Hard-Boiled Detective: Stories from Black Mask Magazine 1920-1951 - Herbert Ruhm, ed. This Vintage PBO was published in 1977 and includes stories by Hammett, Chandler, Erle Stanley Gardner, George Harmon Coxe and Bruno Fischer. Had to pay 85 cents for this one.

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Ken Numm's Tijuana Straits at the library. It's difficult to explain but this copy is bound in such a manner that the print is on an angle and the pages are smaller and have much narrower borders near the front of the book. At the bottom of the book the pages extend slightly below the hard cover. I tried to start it last night, but put it aside because it bothered me so much. Has anyone else got a copy of this book as I am curious to know if all copies are like this one? It was published by Scribner in 2004 and I think it's a second edition as the numbers are 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2. Pomona Queen and The Dogs of Winter are both worth tracking down and I'm still hoping to find a copy of Tapping The Source in a bookstore some day.

Kent Morgan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The Lincoln Fry Blog. Read all about the French fry that looks like Abraham Lincoln. http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM